How to make handmade earrings with wine cork and thread

Lately I've been collecting wine corks, knowing that sooner or later a new crafting idea will come on my mind. There are hundreds of projects out there using wine corks -some of them really beautiful- which I see as inspiration.Yet, I enjoy looking for new ways of doing things, putting a bit of myself into them.

Also, knowing that soon I'll want to make some gifts to a few friends, I decided to focus on jewelry making. After experimenting for a couple of days, I finally created these colorful, yet minimal earrings. I like keeping it simple and clear in most things I make. And I like sharing my how-to process, hoping that someone else might also enjoy making this handmade little project, or even develop this idea to something new!

So, if you enjoy making your own jewelry with easy-to-find, low-cost materials, this is the perfect tutorial for you.





In order to make these earrings, you will need a few wine corks, various threads of your choice, headpins, earring hooks, scissors, a cutter, a crochet hook and a sewing needle.




Using a cutter, slice the wine cork into 0,5 cm thickness slices.
Cut the pin 0,5 cm from head. Push the pin into to cork slice at the place you want it, without inserting it completely. Repeat with the rest of the pins you want to use.










Create your design with the thread by turning it around the headpins. At the end, push the pin in to secure.



You can also create your designs by using only thread. In both cases use a needle to pass ends through the cork and knot ends at the back.




You can experiment with various types of thread and different materials.




Now you can crochet the cover. This pattern is worked in the round. 
Even if you are a beginner, you'll find it really easy to make.





Start with a magic ring.

R1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
R2: 2 sc in each st around (12)
R3: *sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, rep from * around (18)
R4: *sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, rep from * around (27)
R5: sc back loop only in each st around (27)
R6: sc in each st around (27)
R7: sc in each st around (27)

Weave in end and attach the earring hook with the tail, using a yarn needle.
.......................................................................................................................................
R: round
sc: single crochet
st: stitch
rep: repeat
.......................................................................................................................................

Depending on the size and the thickness of the cork slices, you may need to adjust the pattern. I've used a no.8 crochet thread. 







8 comments:

  1. Che carini! Maria, ma quanta manualità creativa hai?! Baci :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie Leti! Sará l'aria primaverile. Bacio :)

      Delete
  2. I think that my wife would love these. She likes finding cool things to make in her spare time. I think that it is pretty cool because it is good to have hobbies for your free time.

    Jason|http://www.nicolejewellery.com/earrings-s/1850.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ideas. I think they can be used not only with wine cork and thread but also with small pieces of wood

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete